By Michael W. Lucas
FreeBSD—the robust, versatile, and loose Unix-like working system—is the popular server for lots of companies. however it may be even trickier to take advantage of than both Unix or Linux, and tougher nonetheless to master.
Absolute FreeBSD, 2d Edition is the complete consultant to FreeBSD, written by way of FreeBSD committer Michael W. Lucas. Lucas considers this thoroughly revised and rewritten moment version of his landmark paintings to be his top paintings ever; a real made of his love for FreeBSD and the aid of the FreeBSD group. Absolute FreeBSD, 2d Edition covers set up, networking, safeguard, community providers, procedure functionality, kernel tweaking, filesystems, SMP, upgrading, crash debugging, and lots more and plenty extra, together with insurance of the way to:
* Use complicated safety features like packet filtering, digital machines, and host-based intrusion detection
* construct customized reside FreeBSD CDs and bootable flash
* deal with community providers and filesystems
* Use DNS and arrange e mail, IMAP, internet, and FTP prone for either servers and clients
* visual display unit your procedure with performance-testing and troubleshooting tools
* Run diskless systems
* deal with schedulers, remap shared libraries, and optimize your process to your and your workload
* construct customized community home equipment with embedded FreeBSD
* enforce redundant disks, even with no precise hardware
* combine FreeBSD-specific SNMP into your community administration system.
Whether you're simply getting all started with FreeBSD or you've been utilizing it for years, you'll locate this ebook to be the definitive advisor to FreeBSD that you've been ready for.
Read Online or Download Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide to FreeBSD (2nd Edition) PDF
Similar unix books
The much-anticipated moment version of the bestselling booklet that info community defense in the course of the hacker's eye
because the first version of Hack assaults printed was once released, many new assaults were made on all working structures, together with UNIX, home windows XP, Mac OS, and Linux, and on firewalls, proxies, and gateways. protection specialist John Chirillo is able to take on those assaults with you back. He has packed the second one variation of his all-in-one reference with 40 percentage new material.
during this interesting new version, you'll discover:
* The hacker's standpoint on defense holes in UNIX, Linux, and home windows networks
* Over a hundred and seventy new vulnerabilities and exploits
* complex discovery options
* A crash direction in C for compiling hacker instruments and vulnerability scanners
* the pinnacle seventy-five hack assaults for UNIX and home windows
* Malicious code assurance of Myparty, Goner, Sircam, BadTrans, Nimda, Code purple I/II, and plenty of extra
* TigerSuite specialist three. five (full suite unmarried license)
Imagine your Mac is robust now? This sensible advisor indicates you ways to get even more out of your process through tapping into Unix, the powerful working approach hid underneath OS X's appealing person interface. OS X places greater than one thousand Unix instructions at your fingertips--for discovering and dealing with records, remotely gaining access to your Mac from different desktops, and utilizing freely downloadable open resource functions.
If you might have held again from constructing open resource or loose software program tasks since you do not comprehend the consequences of many of the licenses, you are not by myself. Many builders think in freeing their software program freely, yet have hesitated to take action simply because they're enthusiastic about wasting regulate over their software program.
A whole, complicated advisor to the Apache internet server, instructing the entire general and complicated ideas had to administer Apache on a Linux field. additionally indicates easy methods to expand apache with Perl and different scripting instruments, tips to simply troubleshoot difficulties, and the way to satisfy safety demanding situations head-on. Softcover.
- Mastering Linux
- Using Samba, Second Edition
- Linux Format, Issue 155 (March 2012)
- IBM Certification Study Guide AIX Problem Determination Tools and Techniques
- Debian GNU/Linux Bible
- Open Systems Handbook
Extra resources for Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide to FreeBSD (2nd Edition)
If you learn best by example, you should have everything you need right here. You’ll also need to know something about computer hardware—not a huge amount, mind you, but something. For example, it helps to know how to recognize an IDE, SCSI, or SATA cable. Your need for this knowledge depends on the hardware you’re using, but if you’re interested enough to pick up this book and read this far, you probably know enough. For the New System Administrator If you’re new to Unix, the best way to learn is to eat your own dog food.
Solaris runs mainly on the SPARC hardware platform manufactured by Sun, which allows Sun to support interesting features such as hot-swappable memory and mainboards. OpenSolaris increasingly targets commodity hardware, however. 8 I n t rod uct io n WH Y UNIX-LIKE? One thing to note is that FreeBSD, Linux, and so on are called Unix-like instead of Unix. The term Unix is a trademark of The Open Group. For an operating system to receive the right to call itself Unix, the vendor must prove that the OS complies with the current version of the Single Unix Specification.
Congratulations on your promotion! Support Options Having said that, you’re not entirely on your own. The FreeBSD community includes numerous developers, contributors, and users who care very deeply about FreeBSD’s quality, and they’re happy to work with you. FreeBSD provides everything you need: complete access to the source code used to create the system, the tools needed to turn that source code into programs, and the same debuggers used by the developers. Nothing is hidden; you can see the innards, warts and all.
Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide to FreeBSD (2nd Edition) by Michael W. Lucas